If anyone knows how to make a stellar French Toast, it’s Dale Osborne, Executive Chef at Aqua Shard. If his Brioche French Toast wasn’t already everything, it’s topped with – wait for it – caramelised banana, which pretty much says it all. For the days when you can’t make it to The Shard, whip this up at home instead. It’s the perfect special occasion breakfast, where that extra bit of effort really counts. With the addition of thick yoghurt and puffed rice, sliced banana on a measly piece of toast will never be the same again.
1. Whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla and pour into a shallow dish
2. Soak the slices of Brioche into the mixture
3. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the slices of Brioche until golden on each side
4. Peel the bananas, cut in half and sprinkle generously with icing sugar
5. Using a blow torch (or place under a grill if you don’t have one), burn the sugar on the bananas until it caramelises
1. Put the warm Brioche on a plate, top with the banana and a good spoonful of yoghurt
2. Dust icing sugar over the top and sprinkle with puffed rice
½ Pod of Vanilla Seeds
4 Tablespoons Butter
4 Thick Slices of Brioche
200g Thick Organic Yoghurt
100g Puffed Rice
100g Icing Sugar
Dale's thrilling career has blossomed through joining the teams at The Goring, Orrery, The Wolseley, St Alban, HIX Soho, Dinner by Heston Blumenthal and Terriors, as well as overseeing the opening of Chiltern Firehouse. Appointed Executive Chef of Aqua Shard in 2016, Dale combines his passion for local ingredients and wealth of experience to create simple yet flavoursome dishes.